MASARU MIMURA, M.D., Ph.D.
Masaru Mimura, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Keio University School of Medicine,
35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582 Japan
1978-1984 M.D., Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo
1992 Ph.D., Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Professional Training and Experience:
1984-1985 Resident in Neuropsychiatry, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo
1985-1987 Resident in Neurology and Psychiatry, Yokohama City Hospital, Yokohama
1987-1990 Staff Psychiatrist, Sakuragaoka Memorial Hospital, Tokyo
Academic Appointments and Research Fellowships:
1986 Visiting Expert in National Institute of Mental Health, Lima, PERU
1990-1992 Lecturer, Department of Neuropsychiatry, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo
1992-1994 Research Fellow in Behavioral Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine (Chief, Dr. Martin L. Albert), Aphasia Research Center (Director, Harold Goodglass) and Memory Disorders Research Center (Director, Laired Cermak), Boston, Massachusetts, USA
1994-1999 Assistant Professor, Department of Neuropsychiatry, Tokyo Dental College Ichikawa General Hospital, Chiba
1999-2000 Assistant Professor, Department of Neuropsychiatry, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo
2000-present Associate Professor, Department of Neuropsychiatry, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Special Academic Appointments:
2000-present Visiting Professor, Kawasaki Medical Science and Welfare University, Okayama
2001-present Visiting Professor, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo
2002-present Visiting Professor, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa
2007-present Visiting Professor, Bukkyo University, Kyoto
2008-present Visiting Professor, Japan Women’s University, Kanagawa
Visiting Lecturer, Tsukuba University School of Medicine, Ibaragi
Visiting Lecturer, Kobe University School of Medicine, Hyogo
Committee Assignments in Professional Societies:
1994-present Executive Board of Japan Society for Higher Brain Dysfunction
1995-present Board of Neuropsychology Association of Japan
2000-present Board of Japanese Society of Psychiatry and Neurology
2003-present Board of Japanese Psychogeriatric Society
2004-present Secretary-General of Japanese Society of Mood Disorder
2006-present Board of Japanese Society of Schizophrenia
1988 Certified neurologist by Japanese Neurology Society (No.1096)
1990 Registered in Psychiatry by Ministry of Health and Welfare (No.8093)
1990 Certified geriatric psychiatrist by Japanese Psychogeriatric Society (No.277)
Specialities: neuropsychology, geriatric psychiatry, cognitive rehabilitation
- Hayashi R, Yamaguchi S, Katsumata Y, Mimura M. Room tilt illusion in Parkinson’s disease: Loss of spatial reference frames? J Neurol Sci 2009 Sep 12 [Epub ahead of print]
- Mimura M, Kato M, Kashima H. Neuro-Behcet’s disease presenting with amnesia and frontal dysfunction. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2009 Sep 4 [Epub ahead of print]
- Yamanaka K, Yamagata B, Tomioka H, Kawasaki S, Mimura M. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation of the Parietal Cortex Facilitates Spatial Working Memory: Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Study. Cereb Cortex 2009 Aug 14 [Epub ahead of print]
- Umeda S, Mimura M, Kato M. Acquired personality traits of autism following damage to the medial prefrontal cortex. Soc Neurosci 2009 Jul 27:1-11 [Epub ahead of print]
- Tatsumi H, Nakaaki S, Torii K, Shinagawa Y, Watanabe N, Murata Y, Sato J, Mimura M, Furukawa TA. Neuropsychiatric symptoms predict change in quality of life of Alzheimer disease patients: a two-year follow-up study. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2009; 63(3): 374-84.
- Sakamoto R, Tsuchiya K, Mimura M. Clinical heterogeneity in progressive supranuclear palsy: Problems of clinical diagnostic criteria of NINDS-SPSP in a retrospective study of seven Japanese autopsy cases. Neuropathology 2009 Jun 7 [Epub ahead of print]
- Urano M, Yoshino M, Yamamoto M, Mimura M. Dissociation of exact and approximate calculation in severe global aphasia. Open Neurol J 2009; 3: 8-12.
- Tomioka H, Yamagata B, Takahashi T, Yano M, Isomura AJ, Kobayashi H, Mimura M. Detection of hypofrontality in drivers with Alzheimer’s disease by near-infrared spectroscopy. Neurosci Lett 2009; 451(3): 252-6.
- Hongo J, Nakaaki S, Shinagawa Y, Murata Y, Sato J, Tatsumi H, Tohyama J, Soma T, Iidaka T, Fukui T, Mimura M, Furukawa TA. SPECT-identified neuroanatomical predictor of the cognitive effects of donepezil treatment in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2008; 26(6): 556-66.
- Sakamoto R, Tsuchiya K, Yoshida R, Itoh Y, Furuta N, Kosuga A, Sugai Y, Mimura M. Progressive supranuclear palsy combined with Alzheimer’s disease: a clinicopathological study of two autopsy cases. Neuropathology. 2009; 29(3): 219-29.
- Yano M, Umeda S, Mimura M: Preserved priming but insensitivity to perceptual fluency on recognition judgments in Alzheimer’s disease. Psychogeriatrics, 8(4): 178-187, 2008
- Ijuin M, Homma A, Mimura M, Kitamura S, Kawai Y, Imai Y, Gondo Y: Validation of the 7-minute screen for the detection of early-stage Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorder, 25(3): 248-255, 2008
- Ikezawa S, Nakagome K, Mimura M, Shinoda J, Itoh K, Homma I, Kamijima K: Gender differences in lateralization of mismatch negativity in dichotic listening tasks. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 68(1): 41-50, 2008
- Ishizaki J, Yamamoto H, Takahashi T, Takeda M, Yano M, Mimura M: Changes in regional cerebral blood flow following antidepressant treatment in late-life depression. International Geriatric Psychiatry, 2008 23(8): 805-11.
- Nakano Y, Baba H, Maeshima H, Kitajima A, Sakai Y, Baba K, Suzuki T, Mimura M, Arai H: Executive dysfunction in medicated, remitted state of major depression. Journal of Affective Disorder, 2008; 111(1): 46-51.
- Nakaaki S, Murata Y, Sato J, Shinagawa Y, Hongo J, Tatsumi H, Hirono N, Mimura M, Furukawa TA: Association between apathy/depression and executive function in patients with Alzheimer disease. International Psychogeriatrics, 2008 [Epub ahead of print]
- Ohta H, Yamagata B, Tomioka H, Takahashi T, Yano M, Nakagome K, Mimura M. Hypofrontality in panic disorder and major depressive disorder assessed by multi-channel near-infrared spectroscopy. Depress Anxiety. 2008; 25(12):1053-9.
- Hamuro A, Isono H, Sugai Y, Torii S, Furuta N, Mimura M, Kamijima K. Behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in untreated Alzheimer’s disease patients. Psychogeriatrics 7(1): 4-7, 2007
- Wada K, Tanaka K, Theriault G, Satoh T, Mimura M, Miyaoka H, Aizawa Y: Validity of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale as a screening instrument of major depressive disorder among Japanese workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 50: 8 12, 2007
- Nakaaki S, Murata Y, Sato J, Shinagawa Y, Hongo J, Tatsumi H, Mimura M, Furukawa TA: Impairment of decision-making cognition in a case of frontotemporal lobar degeneration (FTLD) presenting with pathologic gambling and hoarding as the initial symptoms. Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology, 20(2): 121-125, 2007
- Akine Y, Kato M, Muramatsu M, Umeda S, Mimura M, Asai Y, Tanada S, Obata T, Ikehira H, Kashima H, and Suhara T: Altered brain activation by a false recognition task in young abstinent patients with alcohol dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 31(9): 1589 1597, 2007
- Tei E, Yamamoto H, Watanabe T, Miyazaki A, Nakadate T, Kato N, Mimura M: Use of serum insulin-like growth factor-I levels to predict psychiatric non-response to donepezil in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Growth Hormone and IGF Research 2007; 18(1): 47-54
- Nakanishi M, Setoya Y, Kodaka M, Makino H, Nishimura A, Yamauchi K, Mimura M, Sato H, Arata H, Yukumi H, Amagasa T, Ueno H, Miyamoto Y, Sugie T, Anzai N: Symptom dimensions and needs of care among patients with schizophrenia in hospital and the community. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 61(5): 495-501, 2007
- Hayashi M, Mimura M, Otsubo T, Kamijima K: Effect of high-dose milnacipran in patients with depression. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, 3(5): 699-702, 2007
- Moriyama Y, Muramatsu T, Kato M, Mimura M, Akiyama T, Kashima H: Fregoli syndrome accompanied with prosopagnosia in a woman with a 40-year history of schizophrenia. Keio Journal of Medicine, 56(4): 130-134, 2007
- Kobayakawa M, Koyama S, Mimura M, Kawamura M: Decision making in Parkinson’s disease: Analysis of behavioral and physiological patterns in the Iowa gambling task. Movement Disorder 2007; 23(4): 547-52
- Ihori N, Murayama J, Mimura M, Miyazawa Y, Kawamura M.Right unilateral jargonagraphia as a symptom of callosal disconnection. Cortex, 42(1): 28-37, 2006
- Mimura M, Oeda R, Kawamura M: Impaired decision-making in Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, 12(3): 169-175, 2006
- Mimura M, Yano M: Memory impairment and awareness of memory deficits in early-stage Alzheimer’s disease. Reviews in the Neurosciences, 17(1-2), 253-266, 2006
- Moriyama Y, Muramatsu T, Kato M, Mimura M, Kashima H: Family history of alcoholism and cognitive recovery in subacute withdrawal. Psychiatry Clinical Neurosciences 60(1): 85-89, 2006
- Takao M, Tsuchiya K, Mimura M, Momoshima S, Kondo H, Akiyama H, Suzuki N, Mihara B, Takagi Y, Koto A: Corticobasal degeneration as cause of progressive non-fluent aphasia: clinical, radiological and pathological study of an autopsy case. Neuropathology 26(6): 569-578, 2006
- Yamamoto H, Watanabe T, Miyazaki A, Katagiri T, Idei T, Iguchi T, Mimura M, Kamijima K: High prevalence of Chlamydia pneumoniae antibodies and increased high-sensitive C-reactive protein in patients with vascular dementia. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 53(4): 583-589, 2005
- Mimura M, Nakagome K, Hirashima N, Ishiwata H, Kamijima K, Shinoduka A, Matsuda H: Left frontotemporal hyperperfusion in a patient with post-stroke mania. Psychiatry Research Neuroimaging, 139(3): 263-267, 2005
- Umeda S, Akine Y, Kato M, Muramatsu T, Mimura M, Kandatsu S, Tanada S, Obata T, Ikehira H, Suhara T.: Functional network in the prefrontal cortex during episodic memory retrieval. Neuroimage, 26(3): 932-940, 2005
- Tsuchiya K, Murayama S, Mitani K, Oda T, Arima K, Mimura M, Nagura H, Haga C, Akiyama H, Yamanouchi H, Mizusawa H. Constant and severe involvement of Betz cells in corticobasal degeneration is not consistent with pyramidal signs: a clinicopathological study of ten autopsy cases. Acta Neuropathologica, 109(4): 353-366, 2005
- Otsubo T, Akimoto Y, Yamada H, Koda R, Aoyama H, Tanaka K, Mimura M, Nakagome K, Kamijima K: A comparative study of the efficacy and safety profiles between fluvoxamine and nortriptyline in Japanese patients with major depression. Pharmacopsychiatry, 38(1): 30-35, 2005
- Kohda R, Otsubo T, Kuwakado Y, Tanaka K, Kitahara T, Yoshimura K, Mimura M: Prospective studies on mental status and quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer treated by radiation. Psychooncology, 14(4): 331-336, 2005
- Otsubo T, Tanaka K, Koda R, Shinoda J, Sano N, Tanaka S, Aoyama H, Mimura M, Kamijima K: Reliability and validity of Japanese version of the Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 59(5): 517-26, 2005
- Mimura M, Komatsu S, Kato M, Yoshimasu H, Moriyama Y, Kashima H: Further evidence for a comparable memory advantage of self-performed tasks in Korsakoff’s syndrome and nonamnesic control subjects. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 11(5): 545-553, 2005